Image: Telus World of Science, Vancouver, BC, Canada, site of GSCA’s 2019 Dome Day.
Theaters Are Trying Short Versions of GS Films
More and more theaters are experimenting with 25-minute versions of GS films. In a joint article with the Giant Screen Cinema Association, LF Examiner looks at the pros and cons from the perspectives of theaters, producers, and distributors.
GSCA Conference Preview
The Giant Screen Cinema Association will hold its annual Conference and Trade Show in Victoria, BC, Canada, on Sept. 10-12, with Dome Day on Sept. 13 in Vancouver, BC.
We summarize the highlights and provide the schedule.
The IMAX Laser Dome System
The Biz: Headlines
- Imax Corporation posts $11.4M Q2 profit
- Houston Museum of Natural Science upgrading to D3D laser
- St. Louis Science Center switching to IMAX laser
- Imax makes multiplex deals in China and US
- ScreenX and 4DX move to expand in US
- Imax hires new head of communications, and entertainment SVPs
- Jennifer Lee Hackett joins Sinking Ship Entertainment
- In Memoriam: Kuwait’s Abdullah Alshtail, Pensacola’s Mike Moodispaugh
- GSCA‘s 2020 meeting sites: L.A. in March, Chicago in September.
- Christie reveals new HDR projector with 20M:1 contrast
- A visit with Doug Trumbull
- Christopher Nolan‘s next film, Tenet, starts filming in 65mm
- National Science Foundation funds Giant Screen Films‘ Dinosaurs of Antarctica
- Jackson Wild nominates Backyard Wilderness, Great Bear Rainforest, Superpower Dogs
- Spike Jonze named artist in residence by Imax Corporation
- In production: 30 giant-screen films with credits and production updates
- Summer 2019 bookings: 694 bookings of 94 films in 165 theaters