The Royal BC Museum and IMAX Victoria, site of the GSCA 2019 Conference.
GSCA 2019 Conference Coverage
The Giant Screen Cinema Association held its annual conference and trade show in Victoria and Vancouver, B.C., Canada, in September. Our exclusive coverage reports on several of the sessions and the awards ceremony. Coverage will conclude in the December issue.
Giant Screens and High Frame Rates
by James Hyder. In October, Ang Lee’s Gemini Man was released at 120 frames per second, raising the issue of High Frame Rate (HFR) again. Although the movie failed at the box office, can HFR benefit the GS industry?
Celebration of Toni Myers’ Life in Toronto
More than 250 colleagues, friends, and family of veteran GS producer Toni Myers gathered at the offices of Imax Corporation in Toronto to celebrate her life and achievements.
Three Domes Convert from Film to Digital
GS domes in Saint Paul, MN; Mobile, AL; and Saint Louis, MO; replaced their IMAX film projectors with digital systems this fall.
The Biz: Headlines
- Cosmic Picture to make New England film for Museum of Science Boston
- Imax Corp. reports $9 million profit in Q3
- 3ality is going out of business
- Todd Bastean named CEO of Saint Louis Science Center
- Rodney Daniels heads to Mystic Aquarium in CT
- Valentine Kass to retire from National Science Foundation
- Sean Casey starts filming for Fire Fighters
- GSCA announces board election results
- GSCA opens registration and film submissions for March Film Expo
- Niagara Falls IMAX Theater may relocate
- Great Bear Rainforest wins award at Jackson Wild Summit
- GS theater in Erie, PA, closes temporarily
- Advanced Imaging Society honors Imax’s Patricia Keighley
- Kanye West releases short in IMAX theaters in October
- D3D Cinema announces Cinéfolio VR system
- Jim Slater, Grant Lobban publish book on cinema technology
- In production: 26 giant-screen films with credits and production updates
- September 2019 bookings: 781 bookings of 94 films in 214 theaters
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.