In Memoriam: Imax Corp. co-founder and visionary filmmaker Graeme Ferguson
LF Examiner recalls the life, work, and influence of Graeme Ferguson, filmmaker, co-inventor of the IMAX film format, and co-founder of Imax Corporation, who died on May 8, 2021, at age 91, after being diagnosed with throat cancer in 2020.
Remembrances of Graeme
Remembrances of Graeme Ferguson provided by his friends and colleagues, including Greg MacGillivray, Stephen Low, Douglas Trumbull, and many more.
Preview: Giant Screen Cinema Association’s Virtual 2021 Conference
The GSCA will hold its 2021 conference virtually, Sept. 20, 22, 24. We preview the sessions, new films, films in production, and films in development.
As of the end of July, 153 non-multiplex giant-screen theaters were open to the public, 73% of the total of 210. But the spread of the Delta variant could reverse that progress.
The Biz: Headlines
- Imax Corp. reports Q1 and Q2 financial results
- Hong Kong Space Museum reopens its Space Theater with a Sky-Skan 8K system
- Genius 100 Foundation joins Cosmic Picture on Einstein’s Incredible Universe
- MacGillivray Freeman Films partners with MetaMedia to distribute to non-GS theaters
- Achtel 9×7 camera available to rent in U.S.
- Tanya Bluto named president of ITEC Attractions, Branson IMAX
- Darren Throop elected chair of Imax board; Steve Pamon elected to board
- In Memoriam: Apollo 11 astronaut and first NASM director Michael Collins
- Syracuse’s Museum of Science and Technology drops IMAX for D3D Cinema CineDome
- Shanghai Astronomy Museum opens with 14K Evans & Sutherland Digistar 7
- Illuminarium high-res immersive projection experience opens in Atlanta
- The Arctic and Antarctica nominated for awards at Jackson Wild Summit
- Nina Paley’s Pandorama lands in Melbourne, Australia
The final issue of LF Examiner will be published in September 2021.