An artist’s representation of Evans & Sutherland’s direct-view LED dome.
Special Report: GS and IMAX Theaters in 2018
As of Jan. 1, 2019, there were 183 institutional giant-screen theaters, 28 commercial standalone theaters, and 1,398 IMAX multiplex screens. This makes a total of 1,604 GS and IMAX theaters worldwide.
Our exclusive special report examines the openings, conversions, and closings among GS theaters last year, the potential of laser projection and LED screens, and the status and future of 70mm film as an exhibition medium (you may be surprised!).
Evans & Sutherland Announces LED Dome Screen
Evans & Sutherland has announced DomeX, an LED dome system that promises vastly brighter and more contrasty images with higher reliability than laser projection systems. A 20-meter (66-foot) dome has been demoed in China (where the technology is made) and E&S plans to have a similar system in their Utah headquarters by the end of the year.
In Memoriam: Vicki Ahrens
As this issue went to press, we learned of the death of Vicki Ahrens, formerly VP of guest services at the Museum of Science and Industry in Tampa, FL.
A celebration of her life will be held at the Temple Terrace Presbyterian Church in Temple Terrace, FL, on June 27, 2019 at 3 p.m.
The Biz: Headlines
- Imax Corporation posts $8.3M Q1 profit
- SK Films to distribute BBC Earth‘s Antarctica: Into the Unknown
- New Delhi GS theater drops 8/70 for lasers
- Bob Eather selling 15/65 time-lapse camera
- Maryland Science Center‘s Jim O’Leary retires
- Estelle Pacalon joins Evans & Sutherland
- Bev Pasterczyk retires from Kodak
- Gil Perez moves to The Shed in New York City
- Toni Myers celebration of life to be held in Toronto Sept. 22
- Pascal and Catherine Vuong help build D-Day theater in Normandy, France
- GSCA posts 2018 theater attendance report
- December Media‘s Great Barrier Reef wins award in China
- Avengers: Endgame breaks IMAX records worldwide
- CTI renews sponsorship of Pink Palace GS theater in Memphis, TN
- In production: 26 giant-screen films with credits and production updates
- May-June 2019 bookings: 761 bookings of 96 films in 162 theaters