As of mid-December, about 96 non-multiplex GS screens (45% of the worldwide inventory of 211) are open following extended closures caused by the Coronavirus pandemic. Some 34 other institutions have opened their facilities but not yet reopened their GS theaters. Our exclusive coverage documents the continuing effects of the pandemic on GS theaters, filmmakers, and Hollywood.
GSCA’s Virtual Conference Coverage
The Giant Screen Cinema Association held its annual conference online, Sept. 22–24, the same dates it had planned to meet in Chicago. Our coverage concludes with summaries of two of the sessions that were part of the unique meeting.
The Biz: Headlines
- Imax Corp. posts $47 million Q3 loss
- Imax, JinYi sign 12-screen deal
- Imax makes five-picture deal with Japan’s Toho
- Fulldome provider Sky-Skan goes out of business
- Norwalk, CT, IMAX closes with 15/70 fest before demolition
- In memoriam: Maryland Science Center‘s Gregory Andorfer (pictured)